- Awarded as one of the “Top 10 Greatest Inventions” by the U.S. Army
- Used by both conventional and Special Operation forces
- Proven to be 100% effective in occluding blood flow in both upper & lower extremities by the U.S. Army’s Institute of Surgical Research
- True, one-handed application tourniquet
- Quickly controls life-threatening extremity bleeding
- Recommended by the Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care
- Designed to perform in all weather conditions
- Small and cost-effective
- NEW Single Routing Buckle for faster application, decreased blood loss, effective slack removal, fewer windlass turns, and simplified training with single protocol application standards
- Includes reinforced windlass, stabilization plate, windlass clip and writeable windlass security strap
- Featuring NAR's signature Red Tip Technology® elliptical tab providing added visual clues during application
- Protected by U.S. Patent Nos. 7,842,067 and 7,892,253
The Combat Application Tourniquet, or CAT, by North American Rescue is the official tourniquet of the U.S. Army!
Tourniquets save lives. As such, you should carry one as part of your every day carry (EDC). Don't trust your life to cheap imitations, but rather rest assured while carrying a product proven on the battlefield.
The Combat Application Tourniquet is a true one-handed tourniquet proven to be 100% effective by the U.S. Army’s Institute of Surgical Research. Tests proved that the this tourniquet completely occluded blood flow of an extremity in the event of a traumatic wound with significant hemorrhage.
Using a durable windlass system with a patented free-moving internal band, this tourniquet provides true circumferential pressure to the extremity. Once adequately tightened, bleeding will cease and the windlass can be locked into place. Next, a hook and loop windlass retention strap is applied. This secures the windlass to maintain pressure during casualty evacuation. The Combat Application Tourniquet’s unique dual securing system avoids the use of screws and clips which can become difficult to operate under survival stress or where fine motor skills are compromised.
The single routing buckle provides faster application. Additionally, this buckle causes effective slack removal and fewer windlass turns. As such, this leads to decreased blood loss and simplified training with single protocol application standards.
Next, the reinforced windlass rod with increased diameter and aggressive ribbing enhances strength and improves grip. A bilateral windlass clip provides rapid windlass lock while a bilateral buttress for increases strength. The enhanced windlass strap has been changed to tactical gray.
Additionally, the windlass strap has been sonic welded to the windlass clip. This provides constant contact, safe windlass security, and a place to document the application time. Also, the stabilization plate has been reinforced with a beveled contact bar. This tourniquet's signature red elliptical tip (Red Tip Technology®) provides visual cue during application.
Finally, true evenly distributed circumferential pressure is accomplished through the patented free-moving internal band.